In January 2016 the project “Future Professionals” together with the Scientific Research Centre of Applied Sociology “SocioPlus” conducted a case study to examine the needs of students in additional IT education.
The survey involved 496 students of 1-4 courses faculties FIOT, FTI, IPSA, FPM, FBMI, TEF National Technical University of Ukraine “KPI” and answered the following questions:
- In which professional field you see yourself as a specialist?
- Do you feel the need to get more of practical skills training out of high school?
- What courses would be interesting to you as an additional training?
- What is the format of additional training would you choose?
- Do you combine study in higher education with work?
- Are you planning in the future to work while studying?
- Do you plan to work after graduation, in specialty you are getting?
According to the survey almost 57% of students want to study on-line, about 43% of students IT-specialties prefer learning in the classroom.
Quite a large proportion of students require additional skills and knowledge of programming 46%, software engineering 25%. The authors believe that IT companies need to help universities create and conduct learning based on modern requirements and programs more actively, provide students with the opportunity to pass practice, internships, invited to participate in real projects, and more.
Also, today there is still an important issue about guidance and interaction with the business of education in training specialists for the labor market needs. Almost 33% of the students could not answer the question whether they will work on a specialty in the IT sector after graduation, and 8.2% – just won’t work in the specialty!
Крім того, на сьогодні залишається важливим питання профорієнтації та взаємодії системи освіти з бізнесом у підготовці спеціалістів за потребами ринку праці. Майже 33% студентам важко відповісти на запитання, чи буде він працювати за спеціальністю у сфері ІТ після закінчення ВУЗу і 8,2 % – точно не працюватимуть за спеціальністю!